In May of 2021, iSTOX rebranded itself to ADDX.
In the year 2010, the top 10 financial institutions by market capitalisation were all banks. In 2020, however, fintechs and other digital platforms now make up half the list, according to the Centre for Finance, Technology and Entrepreneurship (CFTE). Challenger fintech startups are slowly but surely becoming a force to reckon with within the financial world. In this webinar, ‘Democratising Investing - from banking giants to Fintech pioneers’, iSTOX Chief Commercial Officer, Choo Oi Yee (former Head of Investment Banking for UBS) and Samuel Rhee, Chief Investment Officer at Endowus (and former CEO & CIO of Morgan Stanley Investment Management) discuss the changing face of finance, the role of innovation in the financial industry and why they transitioned from traditional finance to fintech.
Here are the key highlights from the discussion:
1. Choo Oi Yee explores her career in traditional financial industry and her transition to fintech. (4:56 – 10:25)
2. Sam Rhee introduces fintech to the audience. (25:20 – 30:30)
3. Choo Oi Yee provides a brief overview of digitised securities - a new form of securities recognised by regulators - and talks more about the regulatory advancements made by MAS (Monetary Authority of Singapore) (30:45 - 36:13)
4. Introduction to iSTOX andexamples of private market investments (36:14 - 47:23)
5. Sam Rhee introduces Endowus, his team and their advantages. (47:26 – 54:53)
6. Choo Oi Yee talks about challenges in the transition from traditional financial institutions to fintechs. (55:12 – 58:31)
7. Sam and Oi Yee provide their insights on fintech trends apparent in other developed economies. (1:03:54 – 1:08:39)